As a provider of home care services in Broward County, Florida, we encourage you to spend time with your loved ones.
Research suggests that the holidays are times of great difficulty for many seniors and persons with debilitating health conditions. This is especially the case for people dealing with the loss of a loved one, changing living situations, a chronic or even life-limiting diagnosis, or isolation.
One way to alleviate their loneliness is to hire a home health aide from a reliable provider of in-home care services like us. However, your personal presence can do more to uplift their lives. Our care experts suggest the following activities to make holiday visits worthwhile:
- Participate in traditional activities.There are many activities that revolve around seasonal celebrations. Singing carols during Christmas and having special dinners during Thanksgiving are great examples. Doing these activities together allows your loved one to participate in communal practices and connect with the past and present.
- Exchange stories.This activity is an easy and even a helpful way to spend time with your loved ones. You should encourage them to tell stories to the younger members of the family. This allows seniors to look back on precious memories and share their experiences with the next generation.
- Go on trips.You can take your family on special trips to places of great significance to your loved one. While going on trips presents unique challenges for seniors, availing of home health care in Florida can solve most of them.
- Communicate.If time and place are difficult to meet, you can always exchange calls, cards, or letters. If your loved one can use technology, you can also try video calling. These help you maintain connections over time and distances.
- Exchange gifts.Gift-giving can always be done during large celebrations like Christmas. The presents do not have to be expensive. Even small tokens are enough to show affection. Always remember that the thoughts behind the gift will always matter more for your loved one.
These are simple suggestions for spending time with your loved ones. As a provider of home care services for the elderly, TLC Nursing Registry can ensure your loved one’s health during the holidays and more. Contact us today!