Parkinson’s disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects the nerve cells in a specific area of the brain. This causes both physical and mental challenges, manifesting in the body through tremors, stiffness in the muscles, as well as slow, imprecise movements.
If your loved one has Parkinson’s disease, they may find moving and doing their daily activities difficult. Fortunately, our home care services in Broward County, Florida can alleviate most of the problems they experience with mobility.
Here are some practical tips to help them move around:
- Learn their daily routineWhat are the activities they have to do during the day? What and where should they do them? By learning their everyday activities, you will know when and how you can assist them. Make sure that they have planned moments of rest as well.
- Simplify tasksComplex activities may require them to move around too much, leaving them exhausted. Help them plan their activities instead. Quality home health care in Florida involves simplifying activities into manageable blocks they can easily do.
- Use the right mobility aidsSome walkers and canes are not designed to help your loved one’s balance. Always choose straight canes and four-wheeled walkers. These offer better stability and support.
- Let them do most of the activities as much as possibleIt does not help if you hurry them up or do most of the work. Even providers of in-home care services know that these activities allow them to practice their self-reliance and maintain their physical and mental functions. Focus on helping them and giving them the time and space that they need to do what they want to do.
- Hire a professional caregiverIf you do not have the time or capacity to help them with their mobility, you can always avail of home care services for seniors. TLC Nursing Registry offers specialized care for patients with Parkinson’s disease, as well as those with dementia and physical or mental handicaps.
Let Us Help
As a tried and tested provider of home care services for seniors, we understand the unique situation your loved one faces. Rest assured that we offer the level of care they deserve. Call us now to learn more.